Thursday, February 9, 2012

Contract and . . .Ouch!

Well, I would call my first week without so much junk food a mixed success. I don't miss the breads and pasta, I miss the fruit a little but I can go without it for a while longer. My problem seems to be chocolate. I know every woman, except my Mom, are laughing at that statement because they know exactly what I'm talking about! Luckily for me, the South Beach plan has guidelines that are realistic and expect you to cheat a little so they recommend that you cheat with bittersweet chocolate. Reasoning that it has a ton of antioxidants (which are good for you) and a little does go a long way, at least most days. On those overly stressful days, sometimes we all need LARGE doses of chocolate to make it through. Along with some cheesy chick movies to make you smile, I recommend the Princess Diary movies.

On the up side, and stressful side, we have made an offer on a house and it has been accepted! In typical fashion for my family, the house is in need of so much love that it's not even funny. The house was built in 1930, the last addition to the house was done in 1960. Apparently the couple who moved out lived in the house for 35 years and didn't change anything. I mean nothing. The walls are covered in extremely ugly wallpaper (in nearly every room) and someone puked horrible wood paneling all over the house, mostly on the ceilings. But, in the original part of the house all the floors are hardwood (under nasty carpet, of course; including one closet of two-tone green shag that needs to be mowed). All the windows need to be replaced, eventually. The kitchen resembles a mine at the moment, due to the dark (FAKE) wood cabinets, dark wood paneling and beams covering the very low ceiling and an amazing tile backs splash meant to look like different size pebbles and rocks, ranging in color from brown to cream and white. However there is a great vintage stove. After doing some research I found out that the stove was near top of the line and is now a collectors item, I'm not kidding. It needs a good cleaning but has some serious appeal, although I'm not sure of the color, it is light colored-ish. Like I said, it needs a good cleaning. But all but one burner works and it might be just dirty, I hope. The inspection did note the predictable issues that one would expect from an old house, and I can't help wondering if we're trying to eat the proverbial elephant. However, it is in a great neighborhood, mere blocks from a cute downtown area and within a 2 blocks of "houses" that look more like compounds. The taxes are horrible but we might be able to argue that the house has been over estimated and needs to be reevaluated.

I did make it to the gym most days this week. After a "fun" workout with a trainer that I've worked with before taking today off was necessary. When it hurts to get dressed in the morning, it might be time for a rest. I'm determined to head back there tomorrow morning. Lucky for me, the gym has a great child center and the kids love it. Sometimes Mommy needs a time out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment