Friday, February 18, 2011

Sabbath Day of . . .Rest?

I've been thinking about this the last couple Sundays as we hurriedly get ready for Church. So the Sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest, right? Has anyone else noticed that it is one of the more harried days of the week, at least if you go to Church and have kids.

I remember going to Church with my Darling Hubby before we had kids. Sundays in general were usually spent relaxing after Church, watching a movie or two, napping or finishing that last bit of homework when I was still in school. I remember the 3 hour Sunday afternoon nap, catching up on all the sleep that I'd missed during the week of classes or work. How quiet the house was. . . And getting out the door for Church was a relatively simple affair. I get dressed, he gets dressed, we leave. I don't think understood really how good I had it at the time. I had friends who had kids and they joked about the insanity of getting out the door on a Sunday morning, but it's the kind of thing that I don't think you really understand till it's your kids that are hampering your punctuality.

The last couple weeks it has been Grandparents to the Rescue! We've gone through a number of colds and flu's this year (yay Preschool. . .) and so the kids coping skills have been a bit questionable all winter. But there is something about when Grandma says "It's time to put our Church clothes on" that makes Moose take notice and go running into his room to get dressed! Thereby freeing up Mommies hands to dress the Munchkin and get us out the door on time.

Last Sunday was a whole different issue. Grandma and Grandpa were here to visit and play. Saturday night had met us with an unpleasant surprise in the form of Quinn needing a bath and change of sheets (and clothes and burpie) at about 1am. Liam had been coughing all week so it was questionable whether he was going to Church or not. Normally if one of the kids is sick someone just stays home with the sick child and the other two go to Church; this time however it was both kids that were ill. To complicate the situation I was giving a talk in Sacrament Meeting and my Darling Hubby was teaching in Sunday School. . .So no one could skip. Grand Parents to the Rescue! Myself and Darling Hubby were both able to go to Church and get our things done before coming back to tend to our sick kids!

After having extra hands the last two weeks, I hope I'm able to pull things together this Sunday. At least neither of us is speaking or teaching this week, that we know of right now anyway. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment